Thursday, September 20, 2007

Ridiculous

I have this huge flaw. No, not the one about me being too handsome. I wouldn't exactly call that a flaw. Curse? Yes. Flaw? No. My flaw is that I tend to think that people like me more than they actually do. Not to the point where I show up at there house to just hang out uninvited because I think I'm that cool and we're great friends. Well, except for Josh and Amanda, but I've known you guys since I was a mere fetus and I don't really care. But it's just some people. I'll be going about my business and then this flaw shows itself. I think everything is cool. I've really made some kind of connection with somebody and then they go and say something about how they "don't know my last name" despite the fact that I've known them for over a year and talk to them on a semi regular basis. Of course that scenario I just described is purely hypothetical...or at least I wish it was. Your name is basically who you are. It's what identifies you. It's you. If somebody easily forgets fundamental details about you, forgetting about you all together is probably the next step. I don't know how this shit happens. I'm a fucking fantastic person. Why just the other day I won an award for the greatest guy EVER. I declined, however, because I was also set to receive the Nobel prize for humility on that very same day (which I also declined. You know...in the interest of humility.)

It amazes me and pisses me off all at the same time. It reminds me of that Indian chick in college who I shared many mutual friends. I think I met her "for the first time" about 46 times. Several readers of this very blog can back me up on that. I was going to tattoo something on my forehead so she'd remember me, but I didn't want to offend her. Get it? 'Cause she's Indian? Ah, stereotypes. Is that supposed to be like the third eye to offer more clarity or something? Hmm...maybe she should have tried a third ear so she could hear MY FUCKING NAME.

During the course of writing this, I received some news that I didn't think I really gave a shit about. Turns out I totally do give a shit about it. Huh. I think I'm going to have to put today, Sept. 20, 2007, on my list of shittiest days of my life. Probably broke the top ten. I'm going to have to put in front of that day I failed math and came home to find out my dog of 15 years had died. It comes in behind the last time this sorta thing happened, though. I saw this one coming at least. Life goes on, I guess.

I need to find a happy place.

"It's all good, baby..."

Ah, there it is. G'night, folks.

4 comments:

Cory said...

Haha "Indian girl" Jaya Bhatklsjfdlskjdalkjfs however you spelled her name.

Lifelong Learning in MPLS said...

Cripes! Reminds me of the Jennifer thing. In fact, the instructor that calls me Jennifer is here today teaching a class. I think she realized her faux pas because she said my name about 20 times in 20 minutes - I think just to prove she knows who I am. Or maybe she reads my blog . . .?

There was this guy I went to college with who never remembered anyone. He was such a slime. He would always ask the standard 3 questions every time you saw him(name, major, where from). I think we "met" about once a month. I felt bad about it until one of my other friends told me she was in a wedding with him (they were paired up as groomsman and bridesmaid) and still after that experience, the next time he saw her, he asked what her name was again.

That, my friend, is awful.

Triptanes said...

Nelly Furtado?

Bana said...

Your name isn't your identity. Your identity is what you portray to people. If you walked around, say, wearing a shirt daily saying "I'm totally awesome", people would know you as such. If you had Turrets and vehemently screamed "Jeebus" all the time, that's what people would call you. Or, say, if you, for over a year, instant messaged someone under the name "Shacklefoot", they would know you under that identity. Nonetheless, life's a bitch and so are people. Hope you take revenge on whoever this person was who couldn't remember your last name. Or was it hypothetical?