Sunday, September 16, 2007

The only one of its kind

I'm going to go ahead and get this philosophical post out of the way. I'm going to try to keep that crap to a minimum on here since I feel like this is sort of a new beginning for me. I can't tell you guys how happy I am. I seriously can't remember the last time I felt this good. That job couldn't have came along at a better time.

I won't lie. I was in a pretty bad place for a very long time. I would say the last 6 months or so. I decided to take one last stab at a job doing something I wanted to do. And there it was. When I went for the interview, the publisher said it was odd that I called on that day. She said that she'd put the job up on a press website, but all the applicants were from out of the area and few had the same experience that I had (which is sad for them.) She decided to hold out one more day before hiring one of the other applicants. That's the day I called.

Now I don't want to get all weird and religious on you, but sometimes it's hard to see a coincidence as just a coincidence. I'm not the most religious man in the world by any means, but I've done a lot of praying in the past six months. I prayed that something would come along and change things one way or the other. Good or bad. A new job, a heart attack, a million dollars, I didn't really care. I just wanted a change. That's how bad it got. I didn't care about anything and that scared me a lot. My family is falling apart, I felt like I was being abandoned by some of my friends, and I was beginning to feel pretty insignificant and unimportant. I was starting to feel like I was just a waste. I remember watching "The Bridge," and thinking to myself, "Eh, that doesn't look all that bad." It's not a good place to be.

Then this thing came along. It was like somebody shook me and said, "Dude, you're only 25. Nothing's over. Maybe things are just starting." Once I got in my office and started doing paper stuff again, I felt great. Better than I've felt in years. It all came back to me and the worry that I wasn't going to be able to do the job immediately left. I wrote some sports headlines Friday night, and it made me a happy man again. I even assigned myself a couple of football games in the next few weeks.

So I apologize to everybody, I guess. The past six or seven months have been pretty bad. I apologize to people who I fell out of touch with for awhile. I apologize to people who I've been an asshole to. I also apologize for my usual shitty mood. Hopefully those days are over. I'm going to end this post now before it gets any gayer. I'm going to try to keep the whiny, bullshit posts to a minimum on here.

5 comments:

Triptanes said...

Ya, same reason I decided to go back to school. Although playing with the Broken Halos all summer was pretty fun... More to life I suppose :)

Let me know if you need some poker articles written ;)

Or opinion articles about resurrecting Jim Crow laws

Lifelong Learning in MPLS said...

Life is funny. There is definitely something to be said about the mid-20s crisis. I think a lot of people go through it. I know that I've done a lot of soul searching in the last few years trying to figure out what I am supposed to do with myself. It helps to know that there are a lot of other people in our age bracket that are going through the same thing. It's normal to not know what you want to do for the rest of your life. There is a huge difference between what is going with with Gen X compared to Gen Y. We are a different breed! You're not alone.

Michael said...

Well, I'm glad to see things are turning around for you, especially that you're back into journalism. Good luck.

DB said...

Jon, I'll let you know. In the meantime, I'll send you one of our Confederate Flag coloring sheets.


DCLW, you are a wise lady. I think we should hug.

Michael, thanks. I appreciate that. I don't even feel the need to make a joke about your sister/mom.

The Grady Family said...

Thats is really cool, I have no doubt that you are going to do great things with this new oppurtunity. Interesting to see the timing of things.