Wednesday, November 28, 2007

It was either this or a job at the VHS manufacturing plant

So today my boss and I had the final talk in our series of "are you sure you want to go back to school" talks. I am. I took half a day off and filled out all the paperwork to get back in. (Cross your fingers.) I'm really close to a degree, so I'm going to go ahead and get it. What prompted this was the fact that I realized that I really don't want to be an editor. I don't like being in charge of anything. Then there's that whole "too nice/laid back thing." While it makes me a big hit with the bake sale old ladies, it doesn't do much for me in other aspects of journalism.

I was watching the news earlier and they were talking about how newspaper jobs were down with not much sign of positive change. Something about this new "internet" thing. Let's face it. In less than 5 years, newspapers are going to be over. There's really no need. The cost of running an entirely online paper is ridiculously low. You eliminate all printing costs, which are pretty hefty.

So that's that. I'm going back to school next semester barring some crazy setback (knock on my imitation wood desk.) I have no real plan other than that. No place to live, no job. That's how I do things, though. Backup plans are for old ladies and retarded kids. If this doesn't work out, I'll just go back to being a hand model.

6 comments:

Triptanes said...

HERE FOR U BIG GUY

Bana said...

Fuck multimedia journalism. I can only see it screwing me over within the next few years. So fuck it. And good luck with going back to school!

Anonymous said...

jon, you're so hip. you don't even waste time putting that pesky "h" in your name to make you look all un-hip and shit. i wish i was you..

God's gift to women (with really low standards) said...

Zing?

Triptanes said...

Thanks Kenny!

Anonymous said...

fuckin A