Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Retards apparently don't like being called retards

Ben Stiller's movie, Tropic Thunder, is being widely protested by retar...um...people with "intellectual disabilities" because Stiller plays a character who plays a character who is repeatedly called a "retard." Sigh.

"We are asking people not to go to the movie and hope to bring a consciousness to people about using derogatory words about this population," said Peter Wheeler, spokesman for Special Olympics.

I saw another spokesman for the Special Olympics on Robin Meade's show this morning. He added that there's no reason to "kick these people in the tongue." A few seconds later, he said, "teeth...kick them in the teeth." I guess this retard thing is hitting pretty close to home for him.

I'm sorry people have disabilities, and I don't think they should be made fun of with any kind of malicious intent, but c'mon. It's a fuckin' Ben Stiller movie! A month from now nobody will even remember it. It's not like it's some serious, Oscar-worthy, cinematic masterpiece. Ben Stiller movies are the worst possible movies ever made. I would rather watch a sex tape starring my grandparents than sit through Zoolander again. People are going to watch this one time and move on and probably forget that the word "retard" was ever used. The only thing that protesting does is draw attention to the movie. People are going to want to see it now just to see what all the fuss is about. Jeez...don't retards think these things out?

I heard some protesters chanting "call me by my name, not my label," this morning on tv. This was quite the slobbery mouthful for most of them, but the chants quickly died down as half the crowd ran off after a butterfly and the other half began chanting for ice cream and a hug.

I hate people. Not just retarded people, but all people who get offended by stuff like this. It's a movie about fictional shit. It's all in fun. Hell, Robert Downey Jr. is in blackface. Seems like if you're going to protest something, there ya go. But again, it's a movie! A Ben Stiller movie. Is it really that big of a deal? I don't get offended when people throw around phrases like "unending love machine" and "sedan-sized dong." Lighten up...

So if you're going to boycott this movie, do it simply because it has Ben Stiller in it. It's probably 90 minutes of Stiller and Jack Black trying to out-dumbass each other. The best thing Ben Stiller ever did was to not be in movies that I like. (Mamma Mia)

EDIT: Sigh...I just noticed there was a post very much like this on WWTDD yesterday. Oh well, I guess it's no secret I lack originality.

8 comments:

Kneller said...

Wait...I thought Ben Stiller actually was retarded...kinda like that kid Corky from "Life Goes On"...did I miss something? :P

Anonymous said...

LMAO! I also thought when I heard there was beef, it would be about RDJ in blackface (which frankly, I cannot WAIT to see; said the Black chick...). But oh well.

And hey, we both did Ben Stiller today! Well I mean, we didn't "do" him; least I didn't, cause I'm married and faithful. I don't know what you did.

Cool Papa said...

"This was quite the slobbery mouthful for most of them, but the chants quickly died down as half the crowd ran off after a butterfly and the other half began chanting for ice cream and a hug.
"

Have mercy on my Soul...LMAO

BTW: I erased the copy of my grands getting it own, may I have a copy of your grands sex tape?

Invisible G. said...

You liked Mamma Mia? Dude, re-evaluate. Seriously.

DB said...

Pip - Interesting name, by the way. I actually had a pretty awesome photoshopped pic of Corky from the old blog, but I couldn't find it anywhere. It would have fit in well on this post.

GBC - Yeah, I think that if this movie is any good at all it's because of RDJ. I think he's a pretty great actor. I hear massive amounts of drugs will do that to you.

Threio - Sure, I'll send you a copy. I have to warn you, though. My Grammy is really into anal.

IG - sigh...c'mon. You don't get me yet? You better bring two presents to make up for that.

Thinkinfyou said...

WOW! I think your comment about your Grammy really being into anal,was a little much. You better never say another word about my midget fetish ever again.

April said...

i completely agree with your post :)

Unknown said...

That's dumb, the *word/phrase that replaces retard* will under go an analogues pejoration to "retard" despite the fact that it at least had a medical origin. The parents of the retarded need to realize that just because they can cover the walls of their precious snow-flakes room in safety foam doesn't mean they can do the same to society at large, it's an exercise in futility.