Thursday, June 5, 2008

An uncomfortable moment that, for once, didn't directly involve me

Tonight as I was moving some stuff to the other side of the store, I knocked over a display. It wasn't a big deal. I do it quite a bit because I'm lazy and don't pay attention too often after 11 p.m. While I was stopped picking things up, a scene unfolded in front of me that was both hilarious and painful to watch all at the same time. Kinda like if a car full of clowns ran into your grandma. It was uncomfortable to watch, but I couldn't look away.

There was this cute girl looking at silk flowers or whatever it is that girls buy at 11:30. She was pretty into what she was doing and oblivious to what was going on around her. Well, except for me knocking over like 10 coolers into the aisle. She laughed a little when I did that. I was cool with it, though. Most of the time I leave my self-respect in the car before I come to work. Anyway, as she was looking at fake tulips or whatever, this Hispanic guy with a budding afro walks past her and then does one of those recognition double takes.

"Hi there, (whatever her name was)," he said.
"Oh, hi, (his name). It's been awhile."
"Heh...we talked yesterday."
(Burn)

At this point, I kinda started paying attention. I could tell something bad was going to happen. I guess pathetic recognizes pathetic.

So long story short, he says something like, "do you want to hang out sometime?" I heard this as I was getting up to leave. She looked over at me, almost as if she was embarrassed that another person was about to witness the lady brutality she was about to lay down on this guy. Then I saw her give him the "stalling for time" smile and I felt bad. I'd been in Curly McMexifro's zapatos a time or twelve and I could see what was about to happen.

As I rounded the corner to the back room, I heard her say, "I don't know. I don't think that's a good idea." Poor guy.

What did I learn from this? I learned that while my own misfortune really sucks, other people's is pretty awesome and hilarious.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

this post is worse than my little sister's xanga