Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Self-reliance

Being happy isn't as hard as I'm making it. I've realized over the past few days that I'm putting a lot of emphasis on things that, at this point, are more wants than needs. A lot of my problems stem from wanting validation from others. Sure it's nice to be liked and have people like the things you do, but it's not necessary for me to be happy, I've decided. I heard a lot of kind things about my last three posts, but I also heard one discouraging thing. Sadly, that one negative thing caused me to take them down.

It was nice to write about things that were serious and important to me. It felt pretty good to know that my writing made people feel things and actually think instead of just getting a cheap laugh. I was going to leave the posts down and just forget about the whole thing until I read this, from Self-Reliance by Emerson:

What I must do is all that concerns me, not what the people think. This rule, equally arduous in actual and in intellectual life, may serve for the whole distinction between greatness and meanness. It is the harder because you will always find those who think they know what is your duty better than you know it. It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude.

If I'm ever going to be taken seriously as not only a writer, but as a person, I have to learn to handle criticism and also not base what I do on people's opinions of me. I didn't write them for attention or for people to feel bad for me. I wrote them to write them. I wrote them to make me feel better and to also, hopefully, hold someone's attention for two minutes. Taking them down doesn't do anything but make me look weak and easily persuaded. It makes me look like I lack conviction and won't stand behind what I write. That's not the case, though. So I'm putting them back up. They are what they are and I'm proud of them. I think this is a step in the right direction for me.

I don't intend to fill this blog with serious posts, but they are probably going to be a bigger part of it in the future.

Thanks for reading.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was going to make a comment about you being a pussy for taking them down but you learned on your own. gg

Lifelong Learning in MPLS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lifelong Learning in MPLS said...

I just read a quote that seems to make sense to me right now, perhaps it will make sense to you too: “Inner power develops from introspection, personal struggles, the gradual evolution of life purpose, a spiritual connection with a source beyond yourself, and from accepting and valuing yourself,” (Hagberg, 2003).

I guess I did gain some insight in class this semester!

damon said...

I prefer the cheap laugh. Thinking makes my head hurt.

But with brilliant DB lines like, "it was free helmet day at the retard store". (a line that still makes me laugh) I ain't the only one missin the funny.

Sully Sullivan said...

You have to be able to stand behind your work no matter what. You can't please everyone. This is a fact of life. I've received harsh criticisms about my past blog entries from people that I knew on a personal level, and even then, I stood strong. Be yourself. It counts.

If you need a cheer up, check out my comedy blog on blogspot...
http://yeahtotallyright.blogspot.com