Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Settle an argument

Somehow Legends of the Fall was brought up this morning. I said how it was one of my favorite movies. Richard replied with, "I try to stay away from that. It's a chick flick." What the fuck? How is Legends of the Fall a chick flick? Richard argued that it's a "period piece with a bunch of dudes in it." If that's true, then Gladiator is a chick flick?

My reasons against it being a chick flick are four fold.

1. Brad Pitt doesn't make those kind of movies, I don't think. You could maybe argue that "Meet Joe Black" is, but not really. That movie is badass.

2. A lot of people get shot. Brad Pitt scalps some Krauts (is that still offensive?) An indian kills a guy with a shotgun. Not chick flick characteristics.

3. An old man fights a bear using only a knife. That's pretty hardcore.

4. No Dermot Mulroney, Ryan Gosling, James McAvoy, or Jude Law.

So I'm right, right? Discuss!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The whole story though is centered around, in my opinion, of the whoreness of the ms julia ormond. She fucks all the bros right? There is some crazy girl message and moral to the story hidden there. Plus you only hear the womens going on and on about this movie cuz brad pitt is dreamy. Which is your argument right?

Anonymous said...

Also on the imdb page, look under the heading genre. It starts out with Drama. Then it goes to Romance, and then guy stuff.

DB said...

It wasn't whoreness. She would have stayed with the first brother, but he got killed in WWI. Then she was faced with the difficult decision of choosing between the rugged good looks of Brad Pitt and the financial stability of Aiden Quinn. She needed a husband. It was the early 1900s and she was a woman. She couldn't even vote yet. She was always in love with Brad Pitt, but he went to Africa to hunt lions and shit. What was she supposed to do? And it's not like Aiden Quinn was a slouch. He was quickly climbing the political ladder. She eventually killed herself.

I'll go ahead and turn in my testicles now.

portuguesa nova said...

Um, What's so wrong with a chick flick?

DB said...

I didn't really make a great case there. BUT HE FOUGHT A FUCKING BEAR!!! A big one too. And he scalped people. Germans. Like 18 of 'em. Look at all the stuff he killed. Lions, zebras, germans, a cop, some Irish whiskey distillers, um...a sheriff, I think, a bear maybe. C'mon!

DB said...

PN, I need that shirt, I think. I'm pretty much a sensitive douche as it is, though.

Another question: Is Cold Mountain a chick flick too? Is everything I know a lie now?

damon said...

I can't give you my opinion.

I don't watch chick-flicks.

Cory said...

"Blogger damon said...

I can't give you my opinion.

I don't watch chick-flicks."

Hahahahaha.

Triptanes said...

...